Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ironman season 2010

Quick updates on the 2010 season. I did complete my first Ironman!

April:
I warmed up for the season by racing the Wildflower Half Ironman
(6:29). Good checkpoint - I was on track as an average 1/2-Ironman in my age group.
Definitely an amazingly strong event worth repeating as the 'A race' -
World Champion Michael Raelert finished in 3:56.

May:
I ran barefoot Bay to Breakers (12km) - I got tons of attention
yet it was a total blast to run barefoot on clean San Francisco streets.

Most of May I was swimming in the bay as often as I could
to prepare for the Alcatraz Challenge 1.5 mile swim.
The Alcatraz swim ended up being harder mentally than physically.
I had decided I would need a vacation with warm water
as a reward the day after I complete Alcatraz.

June:
I had a very exciting vacation on Papua in Indonesia:
lots of pictures and stories to share. While it derailed my Ironman training plan,
high altitude trekking and skindiving kept me in shape.

July:
I completed in July the Vineman Ironman (13:23). Running was the biggest challenge as half-way on the marathon my knee stopped cooperating, yet I still finished in the middle of my age group.

I am pleased to report I am an average Ironman distance triathlete
a year after learning to swim and starting to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment